Saturday, August 1, 2009

Spinach Smoothie

Seriously!

I kept hearing people talking about Spinach Smoothies (on Twitter),
so I had to try it for myself.
My kids are picky, really picky. They don't like most vegetables.
And this is an easy way to get leafy greens
and lots of fruits into their diet.

And you can't taste the spinach-- at all!

Fruity Smoothie
1 apple sliced, not peeled
2 oranges peeled and sectioned
3 ice cubes
a handful of blackberries
around 10 strawberries
2-3 handfuls of spinach
1/4 cup sugar
around 1/4 cup of milk to get the blender going

Blend and enjoy!



BananaBerry Smoothie
1 ripe banana, peeled
2 nectarines, pit removed
around 10 strawberries
1 1/2 cups frozen blueberries
2-3 handfuls of spinach
1/4 cup sugar
around 1/4 cup of milk to get the blender going

Blend and enjoy!

Want to make a green smoothie? Try blending the spinach with an apples and a banana.
The variations are endless, and it's hard to go wrong with most combinations of fruit.

A little tip: to keep your smoothie more purple rather than a yucky brown be sure to include darker fruits (I used blackberries and blueberries).

2 comments:

Christa said...

This sounds delicious. Forget my kids, I'm going to make one for me.

Sera said...

Wow! If you say you can't taste the spinach, I think I'm going to have to make one of those for myself - I'm a huge smoothie fan, and if I can sneak greens in, then woo hoo!