Sunday, April 12, 2009

Peeps

Last night my husband and I went to the store to buy Easter candy. I had thought about buying it last week but realized that if I bought it too early I would probably start eating it! So I decided to wait. Unfortunately for us the store was nearly out of candy. We did manage to find some pre-filled eggs, and after we picked up the kids from Grandma's house my husband ran to another store to make sure we at least had chocolate bunnies for Easter.
But we never did find any Peeps. Maybe I'll have to try out this recipe and make my own!


PEEPS
Ingredients
  • 1/3 c. water
  • 2.5 tsp powdered gelatin (1 envelope)
  • 1/4 c. water
  • 1 c. sugar
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla

Procedure

  1. Bloom the gelatin in the bowl of an electric mixer

  2. Combine the sugar and water in a saucepan. Heat on high to make a soft ball sugar syrup (232F in Salt Lake City) 238 at sea level.

  3. Add syrup to gelatin. Mix on high until soft peaks form. Add vanilla.

  4. Put into a piping bag with a round tip and pipe desired shapes. Pipe directly onto colored sugar and cover with more sugar. Don’t let it sit too long or it will form a skin and the sugar won’t stick. Use immediately. If it starts to become too thick to pipe, put it in the microwave for 10 seconds.



0 comments: